Monday, October 24, 2011

Making Inkwells & various other bottles


Elga asked if I'd mind sharing how I made my ink bottles.   I am inspired by old ads usually from Sears & Roebuck or Montgomery Ward 1890's catalog reprints or reprints of old ads in books like this one.
Then I keep an eye out for amber colored, clear or black beads in square, oval or round shapes.  But I've made a ton from a purchase of a big bag of clear plastic pony beads.   Into the top sometimes for inkwells, I will glue (all with plain old white glue) a black smallest size eyelet.   That is optional but nice if you can.  Then I glue on top (again with a fat blob of plain old white glue) another bead of what seems to be an appropriately-sized top.   I have some hexagon, faceted black plastic beads which work perfectly.  I've used hematites, fake pearls and even the little round white tip from one of my lancets (diabetic testers) as you can see in the pic below.  I painted that black with glossy acrylic paint this very morning.    Sometimes I put a seed bead below or above the "top" to add effect.   I cover the hole in the black beads with a blob of black, glossy acrylic paint or if I used a gold or silver bead I'll use a 1/2" pin of which I have a bunch of silver and gold types on hand.
Labels - I print off stuff from online and cut them out and glue them on, rather finicky work but well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, I will keep my eyes open for interesting beads, your bottles are beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete